Monday 24 March 2014

Insurance

So there are 2 questions left: Insurance and Shipping.

Having decided what car to buy I used various websites to get quotes to make sure there weren't any problems. The interesting thing is that the headlines all looked good, but having paid the deposit on the car I found the small print made it quite clear that I wasn't eligible.

There were 2 basic problems. The first was that I haven't been a UK resident for the last 2 years, but answering the question when did I become a UK resident threw up an error as it was more than 2 years ago. Putting in March 2014 made it look like I wasn't British, which threw up other problems.

The second problem was my no-claims. Despite on the price comparison website ticking the box saying my No Claims was overseas, all the insurance companies had in their small print that it had to be an EU No Claims, and St Helena doesn't count as EU.

So what did I do?

Well I went in to speak to Swinton in town. They fairly quickly established that I was a British Resident since birth and it was ok despite being out the country for 2 years. The no-claims was a bit harder. I had a letter from the AA saying that I had 8 years when I left, and I had a letter from St Helena saying I hadn't claimed for the last 2, however Solomon's hadn't said I had 2 years No Claims, let alone 10. Going back, Solomon's were quite helpful in confirming that I had transferred my 8 years and that I had their full discount, but didn't confirm I had built up a further 2 years or use the number 10. However as my premium was the same for 10 years and 8 years I have left it at 8 years which was accepted.

I am actually quite glad to have got it sorted. I'm paying about £500/yr but at one point it was looking like about £1,800/yr at which point I would have had to sell the car and buy something I could justify insuring. Next time I need car insurance I will simply say I am a British resident and have my nice recent proof of No Claims - unless I have to Claim in which case a cheap car to insure will be my punishment for driving stupidly, again.

One thing that did come up a few times was 'have I been on anther UK policy claim free?' unfortunately since December the answer is a resounding no:
But my Mum is ok now, and has a nearly new Fiat Panda as replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment